Two major exhibitors for the 2021 National Association of Broadcasters Convention scheduled for October 9-13 in Las Vegas, Nevada, have withdrawn from the trade show. Both Sony Electronics and Ross Video released their press releases to announce their withdrawal from the National Association of Broadcasters Convention over concerns about the ongoing spread of COVID-19 cases in the country.

Sony Electronics first announced that it will no longer participate in-person in the trade shows in October, including the NAB Show and InfoComm, according to a statement released by Theresa Alesso, the company’s Pro Division president. According to Alesso, the company has been closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation in the country concerning the Delta variant. 

Because of these unprecedented circumstances, the company has come up with the difficult decision of not participating in person at the NAB Show or InfoComm scheduled for October, revealed Alesso. She also said that while they recognize the importance of these events for the broadcasting industry, they want to prioritize the health and well-being of their employees and partners. 

“As the world continues to grapple with the pandemic and businesses adopt digital alternatives and online opportunities to prevent the spread of the virus, Sony Electronics will continue to communicate and engage with our customers and partners in interactive, accessible ways that allow us to safely deliver exciting product news and updates to a wide online audience. We’ll continue to monitor the situation and look forward to participating at industry events in-person at some point in the future,” the statement read. 

Sony announced that it will be hosting a press conference on Sunday, October 10 at 9 am PT/12 pm ET, prior to the show’s opening. A spokesperson from the company also said they will be showcasing products and providing new videos on their websites and platforms throughout October. 

Ann Marie Cummings, NAB’s senior vice president of communications, responded to Sony’s withdrawal in a statement: “Sony is a valued partner, and we respect this difficult decision. We look forward to continuing to work with them to reach the NAB Show audience both in person and virtually.” Cummings said more than 600 companies will still exhibit at the trade show. She also assured that they have taken important steps to ensure the safety of everyone who’s taking part in the trade show, including showing proof of vaccination. 

Ross Video Announces Withdrawal as an Exhibitor from the 2021 NAB Show

Two days after Sony announced its withdrawal from NAB, Ross Video said it will no longer participate as an exhibitor in the 2021 NAB Show.

According to a statement released by the company, the fluctuating health situation in Nevada and the whole US, the travel restrictions imposed by the USA, logistic difficulties, and the general uncertainty surrounding the pandemic make it difficult for Ross to participate in the trade show. The company revealed it had some new product announcements planned for the NAB Show, which they now plan to share on the company’s series of online broadcasts instead. 

Earlier this week, NAB CEO Gordon Smith said in a video presentation that the 2021 NAB Show will be unlike any other in our history, and will be the most significant event for broadcasters and the entire media and entertainment industry. 

With its audience size and scope, the NAB show will create a strong and productive experience for everyone who will be participating, says Smith. “We are thrilled to have hundreds of people registering for the Show each day and thousands already registered to attend. We hope that you will be among them,” he added. 

Smith said they respect the decision of their valued partners who had to make very difficult decisions about whether to participate in this year’s NAB Convention and that they are looking forward to seeing them again in April at the 2022 NAB Show.